Hubert H. Lim, Ph.D.
Institute for Translational Neuroscience Scholar
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Director of SONIC Lab
Chief Scientific Officer
Neuromod Devices Limited - link
The goal of the lab is to push the development and translation of neural interfaces and medical technologies from scientific concept into clinical application with close collaboration with clinicians and industry. Initial medical applications focus on treating hearing loss, tinnitus and pain. We utilize a range of invasive and noninvasive technologies and approaches including electrical stimulation, ultrasound imaging and stimulation, EEG, and invasive neural recordings in animals and humans to rapidly push technology into the clinical and consumer realm. All projects in the lab follow the translational process depicted in the schematic below. The lab consists of both animal facilities and human testing space to perform proof-of-concept experiments that can then be developed and tested in pilot human studies, followed by further scientific and translational research to achieve confirmatory clinical trials and commercialization.
The SONIC Lab is pursuing a range of neural engineering and clinical topics. Please click on the images below for further details on each project.
Please click on research image for further details
- 03/20 - Congratulations to our lab members Indy Sondh and Abby Heiller for both being awarded the NRT Training Fellowship! This incredible opportunity will allow them to collaborate with members from a large community in the field of sensory loss.
- 03/20 - Check out this incredible bio from the College of Science and Engineering of Claire Kaiser! The article highlights Claire's experience as a grad student while working with SecondWave.
- 01/20 - The SONIC Lab presented research on ultrasound hearing, the auditory nerve implant, and ultrasound safety at the ARO MidWinter meeting.
- 01/20 - Congratulations to Abby Heiller for being awarded the NRT travel award to support her travels to the ARO MidWinter Meeting!
- 11/19 - We had a great time hosting our DARPA UltRx collaborators and the DARPA Project Managing Team. It was an incredibly productive meeting, which allowed us to celebrate recent milestones as well as set goals for the upcoming months.
- 11/19 - Congratulations to Claire Kaiser for her talk on collaborating with industry partners from a student's perspective, including advice and lessons learned at the MnDRIVE Retreat. She also won the first place poster competition!
- 9/19 - Our company collaborators have won a $3.35 million DARPA SBIR award. Together, we will be starting a new company (SecondWave) pushing low-cost ultrasound plataforms for neuromodulation and end-organ stimulation. Congratulations!
- 9/19 - Congratulations to Claire Kaiser and Abby Heiller for passing their Oral Preliminar Exams! They are officially Doctoral Candidates.
- 8/19 - Congratulations to Claire Kaiser for being awarded a second year of funding by the Neuroimaging T32 Training grant! Also, congratulations to Gerardo Rodriguez for also renewing for a second year of funding the NRT Fellowship!
- 7/19 - Check out the new auto-commentary that the SONIC Lab has published in collaboration with GE discussing the clinical applications of peripheral ultrasound stimulation.
- 6/19 - An article in JAMA highlights our research into ultrasound neuromodulation of the spleen to treat disease
- 6/19 - Our research into ultrasound stimulation of the spleen to treat arthritis was mentioned in the June edition of Scientfic American Magazine. See Gholipou, Bahar. "Sonic Therapy" Scientific American, June 2019: 14. Print.
- 5/19 - Check out the new article in Science Translational Medicine regarding the SONIC lab's research into treating inflammatory arthritis!