Hubert H. Lim, Ph.D.
Institute for Translational Neuroscience Scholar
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Director of SONIC Lab
Chief Scientific Officer
Neuromod Devices Limited - link
The goal of the lab is to push the development and translation of neural interfaces and medical technologies from scientific concept into clinical application with close collaboration with clinicians and industry. Initial medical applications focus on treating hearing loss, tinnitus and pain. We utilize a range of invasive and noninvasive technologies and approaches including electrical stimulation, ultrasound imaging and stimulation, EEG, and invasive neural recordings in animals and humans to rapidly push technology into the clinical and consumer realm. All projects in the lab follow the translational process depicted in the schematic below. The lab consists of both animal facilities and human testing space to perform proof-of-concept experiments that can then be developed and tested in pilot human studies, followed by further scientific and translational research to achieve confirmatory clinical trials and commercialization.
The SONIC Lab is pursuing a range of neural engineering and clinical topics. Please click on the images below for further details on each project.
Please click on research image for further details
- 8/19 - Congratulations to Claire Kaiser for being awarded a second year of funding by the Neuroimaging T32 Training grant! Also, congratulations to Gerardo Rodriguez for also renewing for a second year of funding the NRT Fellowship!
- 7/19 - Check out the new auto-commentary that the SONIC Lab has published in collaboration with GE discussing the clinical applications of peripheral ultrasound stimulation.
- 6/19 - An article in JAMA highlights our research into ultrasound neuromodulation of the spleen to treat disease
- 6/19 - Our research into ultrasound stimulation of the spleen to treat arthritis was mentioned in the June edition of Scientfic American Magazine. See Gholipou, Bahar. "Sonic Therapy" Scientific American, June 2019: 14. Print.
- 5/19 - Check out the new article in Science Translational Medicine regarding the SONIC lab's research into treating inflammatory arthritis!
- 4/19 - Congratulations to Claire and Dan for placing 2nd in the Neuromodulation Symposium poster competition!
- 4/19 - Congratulations to Claire and Abby for placing 3rd in the Medical Devices category at the IEM poster awards!
- 4/19 - Congratulations to Abby and Gerardo for being awarded the NRT Fellowship for the 2019-2020 year!
- 4/19 - Check out the new article on the Minnesota Dail on our new NIH grant!
- 3/19 - Congratulations to Hubert Lim, the lead researcher on a $9.7 million NIH grant to restore hearing. This grant will fund a collaboration between the University of Minnesota, the University of Utah, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Northwell Health, Hannover Medical School, International Neuroscience Institute, the Hannover Clinical Trial Center, Blackrock Microsystems LLC, and MED-EL. Read more about the grant in the links by The College of Science and Engineering, UMN, Medical School and NewsWise.
- 3/19 - Congratulations to the SONIC Lab and several other collaborators for publishing in Nature Communications! The project focuses on using ultrasound to treat arthritis. The work has been selected for highlighting by the journal. It has also been highlighted by EurekAlert!, NewsWise, the University of Minnesota and the College of Science and Engineering.
- 2/19 - Congratulaitons to Gerardo and John for receiving the NRT Travel Award sponsored by CATSS!
- 1/19 - Congratulations to Gerardo for receiving the ARO Travel Award sponsored by the Association in Research for Otolaryngology!
- 11/18 - We welcome a new graduate student to the SONIC Lab, Inderbir Sondh!
- 9/18 - Congratulations to Claire Kaiser for receiving a MnDRIVE Brain Conditions Fellowship for Commercialization in Neuromodulation. She will be collaborating with the Ultran Group to develop a wearable targeted ultrasound device to treat rheumatoid arthritis! Read more about the project here.
- 5/18 - New article published in The Scientist highlighting our recent discoveries published in Neuron!
- 5/18 - Congratulations to Hongsun et al. and our Caltech colleagues for having their work published in Neuron! Read our lab’s paper and our colleague’s paper to learn about the auditory effect caused by ultrasound stimulation.
- 1/18 - Congratulations SONIC Lab for the new DARPA ElectRx grant to pursue a clinical trial evaluating ultrasound neuromodulation of the spleen to treat rheumatoid arthritis in collaboration with Dr. Erik Peterson's team in the Division of Rheumatic and Autoimmune Diseases in the Medical School.
- 1/18 - Congratulations SONIC Lab for recently being awarded a DARPA Phase II grant to pursue ultrasound neuromodulation of the immune system for pain treatment with Medtronic (Dr. Sara Offutt's team) and Dr. Bryce Binstadt's lab (Pediatric Rheumatology)